Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Quiet Amid the Noise

The city is noisy.  The first few nights we wondered if we’d ever get to sleep.  Would we get used to the city life, the noise, the car alarms, screeching tires, fire engines, drunk kids walking home.  But if you listen closely there are also Church Bells, the clack of heels on wet pavement and birds. 
But with the noise all around us I actually have more thinking time.  Back at home the television was always on, in the car there's the radio, the phone, the distractions.  Morning television here is terrible, I talk with my family, walk them to school, plan the day together because without a car everything needs to be mapped out.  The rumble of the tube, quiet in the morning, loud chatter in the evening.  And then the walks to and from the tube and to work with just me and my head.
I’m finding more quiet in the noise of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment