Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Forgetting to Take Notice

Rushing home on the Tube, it’s Thursday night and running late.  I look up from the Evening Standard and realize we’re only one stop away from home, St John’s Wood.  And then it occurs to me I barely noticed the day. 
I ate lunch at my desk not at some market tucked in a city corner.  I didn’t watch London from my office window with my coffee.  I didn’t appreciate the break in the rain.  I didn’t notice the sun setting over St Paul’s or the crush of people crossing London Bridge. 
It was just a day. 
Living here I feel like one of those terminal patients with a year to live.  The ones who talk about  every day being one less than they had the day before.  Every day is a gift, all the dying clichés. 
But I expect every day here to be special.  And the city doesn’t disappoint.  As long as I take notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment