Monday, September 12, 2011

I Saw Them Queue for Rabbit Stew

Lunch is my big meal of the day during the week.  In Rockville I had such well known establishments as the Cheesecake Factory, Timpanos and PF Changs to choose from.  London has introduced me to a city-wide feast of lunching opportunities, and I have vowed to explore as much as possible every non-rainy day.

Last week I dined with a group at “the city’s best fish and chips place,” the locals rave.  Also a well known fact about the Happy Days fish and chippery, is it's the place where Jack the Ripper dropped his final victim.  It’s in the Eastern part of the city, a little more ethnic, in the literal and figurative shadow of the larger financial buildings.  They never caught the Ripper, in fact they question whether he existed or not and credit the string of WhiteChapel killings as a media-perpetrated event.

Today was Borough Market, a mad house of soups and ethnic dishes, fish and venison and yes rabbit.  Although I have seen the Brits now Queue up for everything whether the Post Office or the bus, today  indeed I did see them Queue for rabbit stew.  And while this sounds like the start of a demented Dr Seuss poem, they lined up for this and other delicacies.  This caught my eye because the dead rabbits were hung next to the food and people were taking photos as if they hunted them down themselves.

I had Syrian Falafel, Israeli salad with the Monmouth Coffee, the stuff that really drew me to the place.  All of this takes place just under the London Bridge, the oldest bridge connecting both parts of London and that sits just outside our office window.

No comments:

Post a Comment