Friday, June 22, 2018

Roxy 2005-2018

Roxy wasn’t the dog
Who cared for other pets,
She didn’t like the lake
Or even getting wet.

But Jill she loved and followed
Around the house and back,
Always by her side
Hoping for a snack.



When I’d come home sometimes
And couldn’t find my wife,
I’d call for our dear dog
To lead me to my life.







The day I brought her home
The kids were so surprised,
They knew I'd said “No Pets”
(‘Cause I knew then, dogs die.)

Most nights when the lights were out,
With Lulu deeply snoring,
Roxy would leave our bed
And sleep alone til morning.

But sometimes late at night
When I felt a little blue,
I’d go off to see her
And ask, “So how are you?”

At some point in the darkness
Her little eyes would close,
And I’d pet her golden hair
As she began to dose.

Yes somewhere in the night
As I pet her fluffy fur,
Roxy made a noise
That sounded like a purr.

And for a moment we connected,
The dreaming dog and me,
Then I’d go off to bed
Or maybe just to pee.

But now my late night partner
Has crossed to the other side,
When I go off to find her
Tears just blur my eye.


And in the foggy mist
Of a late night walk about,
I wish just once to hear,
That little song eke out.

From the dog I didn’t want,
The girl named Roxy Roo,
Who lived 13 great years
Until the children grew.

I wish that I'd been wrong
That nothing lasts forever,
Sometimes we fall in love
It is life’s only treasure.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment